We had no plans for the weekend other than the Stars and Stripes festival on Saturday (more on that tomorrow) so I had to get creative. We challenged ourselves to an All-American Scavenger Hunt this weekend and finished with 9/10. That's an A minus, so I'll take it.
1. Eat Fried Food. We accomplished this during our trip to Roosevelt Island. We stopped and watched a little of the Yankees vs. Twins and enjoyed fried mac & cheese bites. Those rarely disappoint.
2. Find a site with historical significance. We visited the site of the Alexander Hamilton vs. Aaron Burr duel on the 4th. I've seen it on google maps while looking for restaurants near us, so we drove up the hill to check it out.
3. Drink an American beer. We outdid ourselves with this one. We drank a beer on Friday from each region of the country. Anchor from California, Sam Adams from Mass, Abita from Louisiana and Founders from Michigan.
4. Light a sparkler. EPIC FAIL. Turns out these are illegal in New Jersey AND New York. I was really sad.
5. Locate some creative American flag gear. This was easy and really entertaining. My favorite is always Quincy wearing this hat.
6. Recite the Pledge of Allegiance. This was completed and I forgot to video tape it.
7. Sing your favorite song about America loudly for all to hear. Thanks to snapchat - a few friends were able to enjoy my Miley Cyrus performance.
8. Find a famous landmark or a replica of one. The rain made this a little less fun, but we headed down to Liberty State Park and paid our respects to Lady Liberty on America's birthday.
9. Enjoy a good summer dessert. We indulged in bite size cupcakes this weekend from Baked by Melissa. They had special 4th of July treats in Cherry and Blueberry flavors and they were amazing. We will definitely be returning for more of their mini-cupcakes.
10. Thank a solider. This should be done as often as possible, but I made sure to reach out to a few of our friends and family this weekend who have served our country and fought for freedom.
So tell me, how many of these things did you accomplish this weekend?